Rev. January 2023
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES – United States
Important: Please completely read Official Rules before entering this contest (the “Contest”). By clicking the “Submit” button on the www.USATNC.com registration page and/or by participating in the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements below.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS CONTEST. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. CONTEST VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. SPONSOR. IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC., 1375 Park Ave., Sycamore, Illinois, 60178 (“Sponsor”)
2. ELIGIBILITY. THE U.S. AUTO TECH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO PROFESSIONAL AUTO TECHNICIANS OR STUDENTS IN AN APPRENTICE PROGRAM WHO ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES (AND DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA), WHO HAVE REACHED THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR JURISDICTION OF RESIDENCE AT THE TIME OF ENTRY (19 YEARS OR OLDER IN DE, AL OR NE; 21 YEARS OR OLDER IN MS, AND 18 YEARS OR OLDER IN ALL OTHER STATES). IF YOU DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS, OR ANY OTHER ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE OR WIN THE PRIZE, AND SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD THE PRIZE TO YOU. To be eligible to win the prize, entries must follow the entry format designated in Section 4 below. Directors, officers and employees of Sponsor, and any of their respective parent companies, affiliated companies, subsidiaries, agents, professional advisors, advertising and promotional agencies, immediate families of each and persons living in the same household (whether related or not) are not eligible to win any prizes.
3. OVERVIEW AND PROMOTION PERIODS. Eligible contestants participate in a timed skilled contest by following the instructions provided at Contest locations, or online, as applicable. Contestants will be entered in one (1) of two (2) divisions – Professional Technician – 26 years of age and above and not currently enrolled in an automotive education program at the time of qualification (“Pro”) or Student Technician – 18 to 25 years of age at the time of qualification or currently enrolled in an automotive educational program (“Student”) (each a “Category” and collectively the “Categories”), and the Contest consists of different competition levels (“Competition Levels”). For in person qualifiers, the goal is to successfully complete the interrelated tasks using select tools, which are provided at the competition location, in the least amount of time. For digital qualifiers, the goal is to correctly answer as many questions as possible within the allotted quiz time.
· Individual contestants: Individual contestants may sign up as either a Pro or a Student depending on their status at the time of the qualification. During live event qualification, Pro and Student contestants will start and stop the clock timer located at their table upon the successful completion of all the tasks to generate their official time. Additional rules and scoring will be available on site for contestants at qualification events.
· During digital qualification events, Pro and Student contestants will take an online timed quiz which can be found on the U.S. Auto Tech National Championship website.
· A contestant may qualify for Championship Week as an individual and does not need to be affiliated with any organization or entity.
COMPETITION LEVELS AND WINNER SELECTION:
· Qualifying Events - Local in-person competitions are currently scheduled to be held in up to three (3) locations across the U.S. at partner retail locations, trade schools and trade shows (each a “Qualifying Event”) with locations and times chosen by Sponsor during the qualifying stage which is scheduled to run from approximately March 2023 to July 2023. Dates, times and locations for each Qualifying Event will be posted and updated on www.USATNC.com and may be advertised through the US Auto Tech National Championships social media. Qualifying Event contestants may compete multiple times per event, subject to event scheduling. During each Qualifying Event, each contestant’s top score (based on official time) will be recorded. Each contestant’s top score will be ranked against all other contestants in their Category (Pro or Student). The winner of each Qualifying Event in the Pro and Student Category will qualify for the Round of 64 (defined below).
· Online Qualifiers - There will also be a series of five (5) online qualifying events announced on www.usatnc.com and scheduled to take place between March 1, 2023 and July 31, 2023. During these online qualifiers, the contestants with the scores in each category, every month, from the online competitions will advance to the Round of 64. For the purpose of the competitions, there will be no ties; each Qualifying Round will have a tiebreaker announced in the competition instructions. Terms for the Online Qualifier will be provided to Online Qualifiers in advance.
· Round of 64 – Sixty-four (64) competitors in each Category will be invited to participate in the “Round of 64”. Participants in the Round of 64 for each category will include winners from the digital and in person qualifiers, and the rest of the participants will be selected based upon the national ranking of their official score from their Qualifying Event. Round of 64 participants will compete, and the top thirty-two (32) competitors in each Category will be invited to compete in the Round of 32 (detailed below).
· Round of 32 – Thirty-two (32) competitors in each Category will be invited to participate in the “Round of 32”. Participants in the Round of 32 for each Category will include those with the highest score in the Round of 64 digital quiz. Round of 32 participants will compete, and the top sixteen (16) competitors in each Category will be invited to compete in the Championship Week events (detailed below).
· Championship Week (2 Rounds) – The “Championship Week” is scheduled to take place at the Tampa Convention Center in Tampa, FL from October 27, 2023 through October 28, 2023 with dates and times subject to change by Sponsor with reasonable notice.
o Championship Week Semi-Finals: The sixteen (16) Pros and sixteen (16) Students selected through the Round of 32 will compete in the Champions Week Semi-Finals in their Category for the chance to advance to the Final Round (detailed below).
o Championship Week Final Round: After completion of Championship Week Semi-Finals, the four (4) Pros and four (4) Students with the best scores will advance to the Championship Week Final Round.
o The one (1) Pro and one (1) Student with the best Final Round score will be declared the grand prize winners of their respective Category, subject to verification of eligibility and completion of required winner certification documents. Prizes will also be awarded to second and third place contestants in each Category (Pro/Student), as described in Section 6 below.
Contest times may not be continuous and Contest activities may be paused or modified, at the discretion of Sponsor or its representatives.
Winner Selection. The winners will be determined by the best score by Category at the Final Round of Championship Week, as described herein. Official time is kept by a Sponsor-provided time clock at each table at competition locations and the fastest times are kept and recorded by Sponsor personnel. Judgment calls or qualification decisions by Sponsor personnel are final and binding. The pending Contest winners, subject to completion of required winner forms, will be announced at the Final Round. To claim the prize, the winner should follow the instructions provided in the notification. There will be no ties; contestants must beat top previous/competing score in their Category.
4. HOW TO ENTER. You may enter the Contest by registering online at www.USATNC.com starting on approximately March 1, 2023. In-person competitions will take place starting from approximately March 1, 2023 and continuing through approximately July 31, 2023 and competitors may register on-site.
The Online Qualifiers will take place from approximately March 1, 2023 and continue through approximately July 31, 2023 with dates posted and updated at www.USATNC.com.
Competitors for the Qualifying Events or the Online Qualifiers will be required to provide a valid email as part of registration. All entries must take place during the applicable registration period to be eligible to participate. The dates and times of all events are determined at the sole discretion of Sponsor and may be subject to change.
5. FOR ALL ENTRIES. All requested contact information must be provided for your entry to be valid. As applicable, all Contest materials including information provided at time of Contest entry become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned. All entrants and entries are subject to verification by Sponsor. Failure to verify credentials may result in disqualification at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Any attempted registration that does not comply with any aspect of these Official Rules may be rejected by Sponsor. All competitors are required to sign a Contest Waiver and Release before participating, which is available on www.USATNC.com or may be made available at competition events by Sponsor.
6. TRAVEL AND PRIZES. Up to thirty-two (32) total Championship Week Finalist Travel packages (16 per Category): Competitors who qualify for Championship Week from the Round of 32 (each a “Championship Finalist”) will be required to attend the Championship Week events scheduled to take place in Tampa, Florida on October 27, 2023 through October 28, 2023. If a Championship Finalist cannot attend Championship Week for any reason, he or she will be disqualified and may be replaced by alternate at Sponsor’s discretion.
Sponsor will provide each Championship Finalist round-trip coach-class air travel (or ground travel for applicable Championship Finalists) to attend Championship Week. Travel includes round trip coach air transportation for each Championship Finalist from a major commercial airport near that Championship Finalist’s home residence (as determined by Sponsor or Sponsor’s agent) to Tampa, Florida, ground transportation from airport to hotel and return to airport on day of departure and ground transportation to and from the Championship Week location, hotel lodging (room and tax only – Championship Finalists must provide a valid credit card at check-in as detailed below), and a meal package determined by Sponsor.
If in the judgment of Sponsor, air travel is not required due to a Championship Finalist’s proximity to the Championship Week location, ground transportation will be substituted for round-trip air travel at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Sponsor will determine airline and flight itinerary in its sole discretion. Travel for the Championship Finalists must be booked through Sponsor’s designated agent. Travel will be provided for the Championship Finalist only. No refund or compensation will be made by Sponsor to a Championship Finalist (or anyone choosing to travel with them) in the event of the cancellation or delay of any flight or changes to, or modification of Championship Week (including schedule changes or cancellations). Travel and accommodations are subject to availability. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth by Sponsor and the airline carrier as detailed in the passenger ticket contract. All other expenses and incidental travel costs not expressly stated herein including but not limited to, ground transportation (other than stated above), meals not included in the meal package, incidentals, passenger tariffs or duties, airline fees, surcharges, airport fees, service charges or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, security fees, taxes or other expenses, are solely the responsibility of the applicable Championship Finalist. Championship Finalists must have all necessary identification and/or travel documents (e.g., a valid U.S. driver’s license) required for travel and must provide a valid credit card upon check-in at the Championship Week hotel to cover incidentals and other hotel expenses for which participants are responsible (room service, damage charges, etc.). Airline tickets are non-transferrable and are not subject to cash substitutions. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated vouchers or airline tickets. Sponsor shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the state or federal government, air carriers, hotels, venue operators, transportation companies, travel providers, or any other persons providing any travel-related service or accommodation. Additional travel details and information are provided to the Championship Finalists at the time of notification. Championship Finalists are also responsible for deciding whether to obtain travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their own option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsor has not, and will not, obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance. In the event a Championship Finalist declines or cannot accept, receive or use the prize for any reason, or fails to comply with these Official Rules, that winner may be required to forfeit the prize and an alternate winner may be selected at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
All prize awards are conditional upon the applicable Championship Finalist’s execution and return of any and all required documents by Sponsor, including, but not limited to necessary tax reporting forms and prize and promotional/NIL releases.
PRIZES FOR THE FINAL ROUND:
First Place Prize: One (1) Pro contestant placing first in the Final Round of the Contest and completing other Contest requirements, will receive a forty thousand US Dollars ($40,000 USD) prize, awarded as a check; and a trophy commemorating their win.
Second Place Prize: One (1) Pro contestant placing second in the Final Round of the Contest and completing other Contest requirements, will receive a twenty thousand US Dollars ($20,000 USD) prize, awarded as a check.
Third Place Prize: One (1) Pro contestant placing third in the Final Round of the Contest and completing other Contest requirements, will receive a ten thousand US Dollars ($10,000 USD) prize, awarded as a check.
First Place Prize: One (1) Student contestant placing first in the Final Round of the Contest and completing other Contest requirements, will receive a forty thousand US Dollars ($25,000 USD) prize, awarded as a check; and a trophy commemorating their win.
Second Place Prize: One (1) Student contestant placing second in the Final Round of the Contest and completing other Contest requirements, will receive a twenty thousand US Dollars ($15,000 USD) prize, awarded as a check.
Third Place Prize: One (1) Student contestant placing third in the Final Round of the Contest and completing other Contest requirements, will receive a ten thousand US Dollars ($5,000 USD) prize, awarded as a check.
All prize winners may also be featured on the websites, social media sites, and other marketing materials and media related to the Contest, Sponsor and other Contest affiliates and agree to sign publicity/NIL release forms provided by Sponsor as part of their competition in the Contest.
7. ODDS OF WINNING, TAXES, AND PRIZE RESTRICTIONS. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible participating contestants that enter and participate in the Contest, and on each participant’s skill level. The value of any prize awarded to a winner shall be reported by Sponsor to the IRS for tax purposes, as required by law. EACH WINNER IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR REPORTING AND PAYING ANY AND ALL APPLICABLE TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZE. SPONSOR DOES NOT PROVIDE TAX ADVICE. CONTESTANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO CONTACT THEIR OWN TAX ADVISOR REGARDING TAX IMPLICATIONS. Each winner must provide Sponsor with valid identification and taxpayer identification number or social security number and signed tax forms before any prize will be awarded. Any person winning over $599.00 in prizes from Sponsor will receive an IRS Form from Sponsor at the end of the calendar year and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS by Sponsor. Any prize may, at Sponsor's sole discretion, be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner if the required prize forms, disclosures and waivers are not completed, accurate and returned within five (5) days after delivery of notification, or, alternatively, if three (3) attempts to contact winner by phone and/or email with the prize notification are not successful. Prizes are not transferable. Substitutions or exchanges will not be permitted, unless otherwise provided herein.
8. OFFICIAL RULES REQUEST; WINNERS LIST. To obtain a copy of these Official Rules, you may download them at www.usatnc.com, or send a stamped, self-addressed business-size envelope to Sponsor at the address listed in Section 1 above, Attn: U.S. Auto Tech National Championship– Official Rules. To obtain a list of Contest winners, visit www.usatnc.com, or send a stamped, self-addressed business-size envelope after November 30, 2023 to Sponsor at the address listed in Section 1 above, Attn: U.S. Auto Tech National Championship – Winners’ List.
9. USE OF WINNER’S NAME, LIKENESS, ETC. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Contest constitutes permission for Sponsor and Sponsor's licensees and Contest affiliates to use each winner's name, hometown, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, the winner may be required to execute an additional consent/release to the use of his/her name, hometown, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation.
11. RELEASE. By entering this Contest you release Sponsor, all participating distributors, retailers, schools or co-sponsors, Contest organizers (including by not limited to Intersport, Inc.), Contest venues and media partners, and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, wholesalers, distributors, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any liability whatsoever and waive any and all causes of action related to any claim, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or delivery, acceptance, possession, use or inability to use any prize (including without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, wither intentional or intentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory. Released Parties will not be responsible for: (a) any late entries; (b) any electronic, hardware, software, malfunctions, or failures; (c) any Contest disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of Sponsor or by non-authorized human intervention; (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest, or any tax obligations of winners related to prizes awarded. Released Parties are not responsible or liable to any participant or winner for failure to continue the Contest or supply the prize or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulations, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, threatened terrorist acts, terrorist acts, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, volcanic eruption, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic/pandemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal) labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond the Sponsor’s or the Released Parties’ control. The Released Parties are not responsible in any manner for, any warranties, representations, or guarantees, express or implied, in fact or law, relating to any prizes, regarding the use, value or enjoyment of the prize, including, without limitation, its quality, mechanical condition, or fitness for a purpose. The Released Parties will have no further obligation to winners. The foregoing release specifically includes but is not limited to any/all claims related to the Covid-19 endemic/pandemic. Contest participants agree to comply with any and all mandated Covid-19 (or any other endemic/pandemic) procedures and any required testing as part of their obligations under the official rules for the Contest.
12. DISCLAIMER. Sponsor reserves the right to change these Official Rules at any time, in its sole discretion, and to suspend or cancel the Contest for any reason. Further, Sponsor’s reserves the right to suspend or cancel a contestant’s participation in the Contest and future events, at any time during the Contest, in its absolute and sole discretion, for any unruly behavior or misconduct, including without limitation harassment, intimidation, threats or acts of violence or exhibiting poor sportsmanship. In the event that Sponsor suspends or cancels the Contest for any reason, Sponsor may award the prize to the winner(s) determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion or may cancel the prize(s) if the Contest wasn’t sufficiently complete to choose winners, in Sponsor’s sole determination. Contestants who violate these Official Rules, violate any law, rule or regulation in connection with participation in the Contest, tamper with the operation of the Contest or engage in any conduct that is intended to disrupt or interfere with the proper play of the Contest, or activity that defrauds or is detrimental or unfair to Sponsor, the Contest or any other contestant (in each case as determined in Sponsor's sole discretion) are subject to disqualification, forfeiture of any prizes won, and possible prosecution to the full extent of the law. Sponsor reserves the right to lock out persons whose eligibility is in question or who have been disqualified or are otherwise ineligible to enter the Contest.
13. MISCELLANEOUS. The Contest and these Official Rules will be governed, construed, and interpreted under the laws of the State of Illinois. Contestants consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state, and local courts located in Illinois. Contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. If you have any questions about these Official Rules or the Contest, please mail written questions to IDEAL INDUSTRIES, Inc., Attn: The U.S Auto Tech National Championship Contest – Contest Questions, 1 Becker Place, Sycamore, IL 60178. Championship Week rounds will be conducted using established industry practices and overseen by experienced professionals.
14. COPYRIGHT NOTICE. The copyrights to the Official Rules and all accompanying materials belong to Sponsor.
© 2023 by IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. All rights reserved.